Monday 31 March 2014

Dan Croll On Music, Muses And Meeting Paul McCartney

In a world of young, made pop singers trying too hard, there's something refreshing about a clean cut without singer claims the specifications remember Buddy Holly.


As a teenager, Dan Croll, 23, thought he might have a career in rugby. But a broken field at 17 foot ended his sporting aspirations. "I've always been musical and played a couple of instruments," says Croll, "then decided I wanted to have a go at the music.”

At 18, Croll left his home in Staffordshire, England to attend the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts. In 2011, his last year there, he won the Musicians Benevolent Fund Songwriter of the Year, which included a £ 5000, or about $ 9,000 prize. He used the money wisely. "I ended up doing a basic home studio to start recording my own music in my spare time.” But like most college kids, admits, “Some of it could have gone down the pub.”

The day after collecting his award , he met with Sir Paul McCartney during a 45-minute session of one-on - one, one awarded to seven students a year privilege , because McCartney is a co-founder of LIPA ( no , after all , no more famous Liverpool band the Beatles) . Croll played two of his songs to McCartney, one of which, "Home”, finished his debut album, "Sweet Disarray” (Capital Records), which falls in the U.S. Today.

Asked about the experience of playing with former Beatle, Croll said, “Flew so fast.” McCartney quickly learned the songs and sang and harmonized Croll. "If I could have come a microphone and recorded him singing, that would have been great.” Although the visit was short, McCartney made an impression.

“He is incredibly realistic and humble, a man well grounded. Took away from it is always great to be open to people and listen to their music, but I can influence you more."


Croll describes her music as folk- pop and credits his mother as one of his inspirations. “At an early age, my mother had a lot of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and jazz music also American composers - . James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, The Beach Boys and Simon & Garfunkel “she recalls. In his years of teenage angst, he got into American pop bands - punk like Blink- 182 and Sum 41. As for how they came to their current sound, Croll said: "In the last five years I have heard a lot of new music and electronic music I think it's a kind of mix of the new, but there are plenty . Of influences from around the world. I love African music, hip- hop and R & B, so it all kind of melded with the music. "

In conjunction with the launch of the U.S. album, Will be touring the U.S., kicking off in Los Angeles on Friday and stop by Bowery Ballroom in Manhattan on April 17. Although Croll wrote and recorded a solo album, touring with a band. "They are good chaps, very talented musicians," he says. "We've all been partners for the last six or seven years. Come with me everywhere for living matter.”

In addition to having the support of his friends, has found support within the fashion community. "We made a small album release party at the Paul Smith store [in London], which was nice and hopefully it will be a bit more than across stores, hopefully everyone" he says. "Through connections I got to know Paul Smith and he has been very supportive of my music. I have to go out with him a lot; he is such an inspiring man."

Burberry has also supported the race Croll, offers a video shoot in Burberry Acoustic performing “Home “. Asos.com had it in a video of a live acoustic set. "It's important for my music through that kind of world, because it is very important to me," he says. “From Fashion has always been something I've grown up with, my sister studied fashion and she is in the industry.”

Croll describes her fashion style as " quite simple really.”

“I do not mean plain, that sounds boring, but there is a lot of usage pattern," he adds. His glasses have become part of their look. “Until a week ago, I had a pair of glasses ever. This pair I've been using for the past four years, are Paul Smith and then he gave me a [new ] par " he says proudly . "For the first time in my life, I own a spare. "

No comments:

Post a Comment